Saturday, August 4, 2012

Behold the Swan-of-War!

Inspired by the new Demigryph Knight barding and the plastic Gryphon kit, I've decided to recreate my nom de guerre, the Swan-of-War.  He makes for a great centerpiece of my army and, as a Captain on a Pegasus, he's an effective unit to boot.

Starting with the Schleich swan, I then checked out Demigryph sprue to select the best breastplate.  I like the "nose face' one the best, but the leg was sculpted so that it would make for a rough cut with the clippers.  The "sun face" had nice clean edges and so, with some quick clipper and Xacto work later, I had myself a suitable peytrel, or breastplate.  I also separated the chanfron for the head.

Now, my greenstuff aspirations for outweigh my skill, so I apologize for my amatuerish work.  Good enough for government work as they say.  I rolled out a few thin strips and starting carving the crinet (neck pieces) piece by piece.  I started at the base and layered then up the head, topping it off with the chanfron.  Sticking in the plume from the Karl Franz sprue and the Swan is looking good!  I also placed a ring of greenstuff around the neck to hold the breastplate in place.


Next part is the Captain.  I did some research on the GW site on the Gryphon kit and really liked the ornate seat they used for him.  The Rocket Launcher sprue has some gryphons of it's own that are angled like they might work, but I decided to just spring for the Gryphon body bits on Ebay and do it right.

Carving out the seat proved easy and with some more greenstuff, I had it mounted in place.  I experimented with the arms on the Captain and decided the lance was the most dramatic and grandiose choice.  The arms are also sufficiently puffy-enough opportunities to add more color.  After fiddling with the legs so the sat in the seat proper, I positioned the seat in the greenstuff so that the lance was somewhat upright and it's ribbons looked natural.

The neck was looking a little bare and so I added a couple of straps to the crinet.  If I had the knack, I'd add chainmail and some caprison to the back like the Bretonnians, but I don't want to risk ruining it.


Coming along nicely, now all I need is a suitable shield!

1 comment: