Saturday, August 25, 2012

Rank N File Started

It's been awhile since my last post - I was hemming and hawwing over what province to go with on my rank n' file.  The yellow recipe I tried didn't come out as planned.  Vermin brown basecoat makes it look too dirty and I wasn't happy.  I'd hoped to go Nordland (blue/yellow), but had Altdorf (blue/red) and Middenland (blue/white) as back-ups because red and white are easier.  But first, I decided to give yellow another try.

Second try, I laid down a basecoat of Golden Yellow and washed some Vermin into the shaded areas.  Not perfect, but I like it enough for tabletop. I actually highlighted with Sunburst yellow too, which is anethema to some painters but I think it looks just fine.

I'd bought these minis used and already assembled - didn't realized they hadn't been cleaned so there's still some bad mold lines.  Oh well.




As you can see, I prime white for brighter colors, use GW metallics for armor / weapons and leave the heads off so it's easier to paint.  Since it takes me soooo long to paint, most the armies I play don't have heads for a long time.

Red accent color for ribbons and such, bone colored parchment, skulls and - well - bones..I paint the barefoot guys with dark brown feet so they look like shoes and don't draw attention.  Thinking I might do everyone with hair as a ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment